At 4:07 PM on Monday April 12, 2021, Newport Fire Department was dispatched to a report of smoke coming from a house on NE Avery Street in Pacific Homes Beach Club. While in route, dispatch advised one house had flames coming out and a second house was catching fire. Upon arrival, fire units observed a single-story residence with heavy smoke and fire that was being driven by a strong wind out of the NW and a second home to the north starting to catch fire. It was reported that everyone was out of both structures.
Fire crews established a water supply and used ground hose “monitors” and hose lines to stop the advance of the fire. Additional crews stopped the spread of the fire at the house to the north. Fire crews remained on scene for about 5 hours overhauling both structures. The house initially on fire was a total loss. The adjacent structure to the north suffered fire, smoke and water damage. A third home to the south suffered minor heat damage only. No injuries were reported. 2 families were displaced and staying with relatives.The cause of the fire was improperly discarded smoking debris. Newport Fire Department reminds you to have a working smoke detector and test it regularly, and properly discard smoking debris in a noncombustible container with a noncombustible lid.
Newport Fire Department received mutual aid response from Depoe Bay Fire District, Toledo Fire Dept., Central Oregon Coast Fire District, Seal Rock Fire District, & Siletz Valley Fire District. Lincoln County Sherriff’s Office, Central Lincoln PUD, Office of the State Fire Marshal, Newport Police Department and Pacific West Ambulance provided additional assistance. Newport Fire Department responded with 2 fire engines, 2 Rescues, 2 chief officers and 22 firefighters.